Media attention for Amazon compared to other American corporate greats (Andrew Carnegie in Steel, Rockerfeller in oil & electrification, Gates in computer operating systems), is formidable. The company is much written about, debated, discussed and admired/ criticized globally. Considering its wide imprint, Amazon’s end-game often draws much speculation. Consider this:
· Amazon controls around 40% of all e-commerce in US
· More product searches conducted on Amazon, than through Google. Thereby, Amazon is an entire media vehicle, on its own
· AWS enjoys around 50% share of Cloud Computing
· Amazon has 42% share of paper book sales
· Amazon has 30% share of streaming video
· Amazon has 6,00,000 employees
The more one observes Amazon’s (and Jeff Bezos’) steady rise since inception; it becomes clearer that Amazon has grown to be an ‘ageless’organization. Over time and successive go-to-market choices, Amazon is continuously changing the way the world builds, consumes and upgrades:
· Matching potential home buyers with real estate agents and integrating new homes with Amazon devices
· Enabling Alexa to access Healthcare data like status of prescription sugar reading
· Building a 3 million sq.ft. cargo airport, to reform Logistics
· Making next-day-delivery, standard for Prime members
· Streaming major league baseball games
· Launching 3000 satellites to supply high-speed internet
For an organization launched around 2.5 decades ago, Amazon has covered humongous ground. Like its big four FANG counterparts (Facebook,Apple, Netflix, Google); it has traveled a fair distance. There are several leadership,cultural and socio-cultural factors that will enable Amazon go further:
· It has been built like a well-oiled machine so far, with various inter-twined businesses. Content producer & distributor,AI developer, Device manufacturer, Web-services provider AND Retailer. It operates in the ‘sweet spot’ of the biggest paradigm shift of the current century– How people buy products and consume entertainment.
· Unlike Facebook, Amazon has the public’s trust. It has managed to protect itself from privacy-related issues that exploded, in wake of the Facebook-Cambridge Analytica scandal.
· Talent-building at Amazon takes a wide view. For instance, it hired nearly 100 economists, who were assigned across a range of Amazon businesses; to run controlled experiments that enable scientific manipulation of buyer decision-making.